The Great Flooring Saga – Part 2

Everything in DIY always, always takes longer than you expect and turns up complications on the way.

So, last time I posted, I had ordered this Saddle Oak hardwood from Floor and Decor, the nearest of which is an hour and a half drive away from me.

saddle oak screenshot

Shipping directly to my house would have been almost $300 due to the weight, so I decided to order it to be shipped to store, and figured that I’d just rent a cargo van and drive up to get it.  It’s normally available in store, but the quantity (1100 sqft) I needed to order had to be shipped from another store.  I also read that shipping store to store would be faster than shipping it to my house, which was advertised to take 7-10 days. Critical difference when you’re working on a time crunch. Also, shipping store to store was not free – they charged me about $120 in freight charges to ship it from their larger Cleveland store.

Unfortunately, shipping store to store took far longer than 7 days, and at day 7, I spent an irritated hour on the phone with customer service, and in the end had them reroute my hardwood and ship them directly to my house to save me the drive.  They did refund the shipping costs, though, so I must thank them for that.  Three days later, this big truck pulled up in front of my little house:


Bonus cute delivery guy:


In the end, I had two full skids of hardwood flooring boxes stacked up in my driveway on a Wednesday afternoon.  Given that the weather at this time of year can be unpredictable, and that’s a $3,200 investment just sitting out exposed, I panicked and called several good friends to come help me bring them into my house.  Each box weighed about 55 pounds, and there were 50 of them.


To my wonderful friends credit, they showed up with only a few hours noticed and proceeded to haul ass bringing all the boxes inside my house.  One of the true blessings of my divorce is how many good friends I have made during this whole process, and I’m so grateful for them.  Some good-natured fooling around also occurred; there may have been a joke made about ‘stroking someone’s wood’:


The total number of boxes caused a bit of a storage problem in the house, as I had to have enough floor space to open them.  This isn’t even half of them:


I finished off the night opening up as many boxes of flooring as possible.  It’s important to let the wood flooring acclimate to the heat and humidity inside your house for at least 3 days before you start nailing it down.


It’s as simple as taking it out of the boxes and stacking it on your floor, no more than 4-5 rows high.  It’s also important to mix boxes of flooring when you nail down the flooring, in case there are variations in color from box to box.  Early planning for this when you open your boxes can make it easier later on when you are ready to nail it down.


While I was waiting for the flooring to acclimate, I moved on to prepping the subfloor.  This, true to form, became its own saga that consumed far more than 3 days…….



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s